CSS Navigation

So I've taken part in a debate over if CSS navigation systems cause an SEO penalty and all the internal pages to fall out of grace with Google. I personally don't think this is the case, so I've started working on one for ToolBarn.com. I can see how the usability for some will be great, for others it'll be used the same as always, and some people will keep on using search. However, it's neat looking and our competitors don't currently use it, so it'll differentiate us from them.

So what's the reason people are saying it's a penalty? Simple. There are div's that are hidden. Well, the version I'm building doesn't use many divs. Most of it is just unordered lists with different classes applied depending on the depth. I'm interested to see how it ends up looking and working.

My biggest obstacle right now is our webstats and our live help buttons. They both run JavaScripts that have to complete before the JavaScript for the nav system will execute. I'm going to try some other options yet, but it isn't looking good. I may have to move a lot of things around to get the performance where it needs to be.

I'll let you know how my experiment goes, but it's fun to play with anyway and our CSR's get a better impression of my design skills. If I can do things our competitors can't, that makes me look good. It isn't tough to build these nav systems, but they don't need to know that. It's just a lot of lines of code.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yii multiple select dropdownlist with default values

May 2021 updates

Been getting busy