Finally replicated...

Since we got our new database servers up and running, it had been about a month. I had both of the servers in sync, but because it was an emergency type of a changeover I skipped setting up replication at that time. Earlier this past week, I went ahead and started setting that up again. It didn't seem like a big of a deal at the time, but it ended up taking 2 and a half days to get the second server caught up. I guess that means we run a few queries each day, although only one slave SQL thread can run at a time which limits the amount of CPU that can be used by either of these severs for replication to about 25%. Since we have dual dual-core machines, it only uses one of the 4 available threads, making 25% the maximum. That was sort of disappointing from a performance point of view, but understandable to keep things perfectly aligned between the machines.

Once it was caught up, I went ahead and set up replication the other direction as well. We now have 2 servers which can handle any queries and the other will get the same data as well. All I can say is that it's about time. We've needed this for a while now.

This coming week, I'll be moving another switch over and putting the db servers behind the load balancers finally. That'll allow for a fail-safe, not to mention allowing me to reboot the database servers individually without shutting things down or having a short outage. This should also help me get some peaceful sleep since I finally won't have to worry about what happens if a server goes down.

Overall, I think our infrastructure is heading in the right direction to handle a lot more traffic, and it seems that each improvement on the server side seems to increase the output on the sales side. It also gives me options if I want to set up something unconventional, such as the W3C HTML validator that I have running on one machine now. But the biggest thing is that there is very little that happens on a typical day now that affects the performance for our users. That's what our investment has been about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yii multiple select dropdownlist with default values

May 2021 updates

Been getting busy